Thursday, September 1, 2011



MAN A.G. (Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg A.G.) was officially founded in 1908, due to Maschinenfabrik Augsburg merging with Eisengießerei und Maschinenfabrik Klett & Comp. The former started developing a revolutionary new engine technology named after its inventor, Rudolf Diesel, while the latter was facing rather difficult times financially. Soon enough, an agreement was reached between Augsburg's director Heinrich Buz and Nürnberg's commissioner Anton Rieppel to create one of the most important industrial companies in Southern Germany.

 - MANThe company's first major project was the Wuppertal Suspension Railway – officially named the 'Eugen Langen suspended monorail system' – whose framework was designed by Anton von Rieppel in the mid-1890s. It took the MAN engineers 8 years to complete it (by 1903), with the whole operations costing around 16 million gold marks. The new system eased transportation from northeast to southwest Wuppertal – Oberbarmen to Wuppertal-Vohwinkel – and passed 12 meters above the Wupper river. The system would be successfully operated throughout the following decade, as it's still used in today's public transportation.

For the following decade, MAN continued to develop public transportation projects and Diesel engines for ships and locomotives. It was only in 1915 that Von Rieppel decided to enter the truck and commercial vehicle market, launching the first MAN truck. It would later prove an inspired choice for the Lindau and Nürnberg-based MAN-Sauer plants, since it matched the German Army's needs during the upcoming War.

 - MANMAN Nürnberg took full advantage of the Diesel technology developed by Rupert Diesel in the late 1890s and manufactured world's very first direct injection Diesel truck. Presented at the Berlin Automobile Exhibition in December 1924, the new truck had taken MAN engineers quite a lot to figure out how to implement a massive stationary-purposed engine into a street vehicle. Due to the massive and robust construction of the cylinders (as it had to resist to very high air pressure) the engine could only produce 1 hp for every 250 kg. The solution came soon after the end of WWI, in 1923, when MAN developed the fuel injection pump. This gave the engineers the opportunity to create a much more simple and light Diesel engine which would fit any truck or heavy-duty vehicle.

MAN underwent some major organizing changes in the mid-'20s, once Otto Meyer became board member of the company. After optimizing the production chain at the Nürnberg plant, Meyer launched into production the new Type E Series. What happened next was one of the most impressive survival lessons in the history of German automobile industry. The company managed to keep itself distant from the Nazi regime and refused to profit from free work provided by concentration camp prisoners. Nevertheless, the production process went smoothly throughout the Second World War, with more than 30,000 workers on the payroll. Both Meyer and Paul Reusch – president of Gutehoffnungshütte company – had a lot of headaches while resisting the Anti-Semitism wave, the latter being forced to resign from all supervisory positions in 1942.

As it turned out, their resistance to the Nazi regime didn't help them a lot in the after-war era. Soon after the military operations has stopped, MAN's plant in Nürnberg was practically destroyed and GHH was closed by the Allies. Meyer was arrested for a short period of time as he was believed to have supplied the German army with armament in WWI through his Nürnberg plant. The steel&coal production was basically ceased and GHH/MAN returned to automotive engineering.  - MAN

Nevertheless, MAN had a strong desire to make a forceful comeback on Germany's industrial market and the only one capable of delivering a quick response was former leader Otto Meyer. As he was cleared of all charges by the US military government, Meyer started the reconstruction of GHH/MAN from scratches. MAN became the first German manufacturer to export trucks or any commercial-related vehicles after WWII, thanks to Meyer's ability to negotiate with the US government. Managing to avoid such restrictions, the company sold 1.8 million $ worth of trucks in the United States (only in 1946). In less than 7 years after this new profitable path was created, MAN was leading the commercial vehicle sector with sales exceeding 1,450 units and profits around 70 million deutschmarks (German currency).

From that point on, the sky was the limit for MAN company. A new plant was created near Munich (1955), as the one in Nürnberg was unable to cover the public's request. Only 5 years later, the Munich factory was producing its 30,000th truck.

Once it became a fierce leader of the commercial vehicle market in both Germany and worldwide, MAN was now starting to figure out how it could extend its area of automobile production. The next step was creating partnerships and making strategic takeovers within the bus sector. MAN therefore purchased Salzgitter-based Büssing-Automobilwerke in 1971 and started developing its new line of production the very following year. Starting the 8th decade, the MAN logo was to be seen on both trucks and buses all over Europe.

 - MANUnlike any other truck manufacturer out there, MAN well-extended its production area in the late '70s. As aeronautic transportation became more and more of a necessity in terms of satellite takeoffs, the German company got involved in producing the necessary launch components, like boosters, fuel & high-pressure tanks and turbopumps. MAN was actually one of the most important manufacturers to support the Ariane program in 1979, with developing the Ariane 1 rocket. Their involvement within the aeronautic industry continued until the present days.

In the mid-'80s, the GHH board of directors decided to sell of their shares and left MAN looking for financial replacers. The next major step in MAN's history was the merger with Gutehoffnungshütte Aktienverein (operating in coal and steel sector), forming the newly Munich-based MAN AG. It was then that all the MAN branches were reorganized as individual stock corporations and started to take responsibility for their own results. The MAN AG logo was also new, with a blue arch covering the MAN brand name.

Dr. Klaus Götte and Rudolf Rupprecht continued establishing MAN AG as one of the main players on the international commercial vehicles market, thanks to precise decision-making process and profitable takeovers. One of the most important developments throughout the '90s – but completed in 2000 – was launching the Trucknology Generation.

The new line of trucks included the TGA, TGL and TGM Series. What was so special about those long-distance vehicles was the innovative use of electronic control systems, modern headlight technology and fuel efficiency. There were also significant changes in terms of cab construction, with safer structures and wider spacing.  - MAN

Starting 2001, MAN AG started developing hybrid technologies for city buses. Reduction of fuel consumption and lowering CO2 emissions were the main advantages for building such engines, with the Nürnberg transportation system being the first to benefit from it in the early 2000s. Some new features for this first generation of buses included an automatic stop-start function of the engine and the recovery the energy gained from braking.

The second generation of Diesel hybrid city buses was launched in 2005, after a fruitful collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Economics. Finally, the 3rd generation of hybrid city buses was presented in May 2007.

MAN AG innovated once again with the introduction of the D20 Common Rail engine, which won the 'Intelligence in Traffic and Logistics' award in 2005 (by the Center for Transportation & Logistics Neuer Adler).

A new line of trucks was launched in October 2007, with the TGX and TGS series completing the Trucknology production (the most impressive of which is the TGX V8, with a power range around 680 hp). The two series benefited from the D20 Common Rail technology. Also, the latest generation of the TGA Series won the 'Truck of the Year' award in 2008.


Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Man Trucks Details


                                                                                                   sarath kumar.s.nair


The Belarusian-German Joint-Stock Company "MAZ-MAN» was created to produce modern heavy trucks of European class for regional and international transportations.
An agreement on a joint venture between its founders was signed on 10December 1997. 5 March 1998 Belarusian-German Closed Joint Stock Company "MAZ-MAN» was registered. Already at the end of April 1998 the first vehicle was assembled, and in October of the same year started upthe vehicle production.
Founders of the company were the German automobile concern  «MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG» (Munich), RUE "Minsk Automobile Plant (Minsk), Bank «Infobank» (Minsk) and others.
«MAZ-MAN» became the first automobile manufacturers in Belarus, whoconform the requirements of European regulations and directives, including rules of the UN / ECE standards regulating the level of exhaust and noise.
Since 2005, in addition to heavy trucks MAZ-MAN has established manufacturing wheel loaders for different areas of the economy, including agriculture, construction, public works and works in a limited space of warehouse and greenhouse facilities.
In 2008 MAZ-MAN has become the official dealer of MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG concern in Belarus. In the same year we delivered more than 400 MANtrucks and  became the absolute leader in sales among dealers of trucks.

МАЗ-MAN 543268



Belarussian-German joint-stock company “MAZ-MAN” was established in 1997 and is a manufacturer of heavy load trucks and front loaders. The companies’ founders are: German automobile concern “MAN Nutzfahrzeuge”, Munich, Germany, Belarussian automobile plant “MAZ”, etc.
The factory's production capacity is over 3000 vehicles/year. At the moment over 300 people are employed at JV CJSC "MAZ-MAN".

Currently, the factory is producing the following models of trucks:
- Truck tractors MAZ-MAN with wheel arrangement 6x2, 6x4;
- Dump trucks MAZ-MAN with wheel arrangement 6х4, 8x4;
- Chassis MAZ-MAN for installantion of various equipment with wheel arrangement 6x4, 6x2, 8x4.
Since 2005 "MAZ-MAN" has started the serial production of front wheel loaders BME1560 and BME 1565.They are the modern, efficient and reliable machines that meet all the requirements of the world leading loader producers designed to become an indispensable assistant in different business fields.
On the basis of indicated models a series of modifications were developed, such as trucks for carriage of dangerous cargos, northern and tropical execution, trucks for exploitation in high-gravity road and climatic conditions, etc. Also were designed various engineering options for increasing technical and maintenance parameters of trucks under particular service conditions.
“MAZ-MAN” automobiles are oriented on customers that demand high reliability, quality of the vehicles and their compliance with international requirements and standards. This is achieved by applying of basic modern units and spare parts from the Western-European producers, high incoming inspection of domestic units, spare parts and production process. MAZ-MAN trucks represent a new quality level of trucks that are manufactured in Belarus. All vehicles correspond to the current European ecological laws and regulation and satisfy EURO-3 requirements.

man truck racing  video

video video


MAN Heavy Trucks to Offer WABCO New Generation Air Disc Brakes; Customer Benefits Include Improved Payload, Operating Costs, Disc Wear and Pad Life

BRUSSELS, BELGIUM – 03 MAY 2006 – MAN Nutzfahrzeuge, a leading global commercial vehicle group based in Munich, Germany, will offer heavy truck customers improved vehicle performance and operating costs through the application of WABCO’s advanced lightweight air disc brakes, available beginning in 2008 for all heavy truck models.

“We’re honored that our competitive design and commercial package encouraged MAN to select our new generation air disc brakes across their entire heavy truck range beginning in early 2008,” said Jacques Esculier, president, WABCO.

“Our breakthrough technology combines lighter components and more compact design to make this new generation air disc brake easier for manufacturers to install. Fleet owners and owner-operators will also benefit from improved payload potential and vehicle service life, as well as reduced operating costs,” said Harald Kaess, vice president, OE Sales at WABCO.

The new generation WABCO air disc brakes are currently the lightest brakes designed for heavy trucks -- only 37 kg/82 lbs, weighing approximately 7 kg/15 lbs less than comparable brakes for truck and bus applications. When applied to a 40-ton truck-trailer combination, the technology can reduce overall vehicle weight by more than 50 kg/110 lbs, creating increased payload capacity and cost efficiency.

New brake caliper with pad offset
The key differentiating feature of WABCO’s latest generation of air disc brakes is the new brake caliper with pad offset in combination with the unique single piston clamping unit and anti-taper wear mechanism. The braking action on the caliper allows the brake pad on the rim side to be retained and supported by the caliper. The rim side brake carrier can therefore be eliminated, resulting in a distinct weight reduction as well as improved pressure distribution of the rim-side pad. In addition, disc heat cracking resistance is optimized.

WABCO’s new generation disc brakes were selected by MAN following more than 18 months of joint development activities including laboratory and vehicle testing.

Editors Notes – MAN
The MAN Nutzfahrzeuge Group is the largest company in the MAN Group and one of the leaders in the commercial vehicle industry. In fiscal year 2005 the company, with over 33,000 employees and sales of more than 68,000 trucks and 6,000 buses, generated a turnover of €7.4 billion. Website:
Editors Notes - WABCO
WABCO, the vehicle control systems business of American Standard Companies, is one of the world's leading producers of electronic braking, stability, suspension and transmission control systems for heavy duty commercial vehicles. WABCO products are also increasingly used in luxury cars and sport utility vehicles (SUVs). Customers include the world’s leading commercial truck, trailer, bus and passenger car manufacturers. Founded in the US in 1869 as Westinghouse Air Brake Company, WABCO was acquired by American Standard in 1968. Headquartered in Brussels, Belgium, the business today employs nearly 7000 people in 34 office and production facilities worldwide. In 2005, WABCO contributed US$1.8 billion to American Standard’s total sales of more than US$10.3 billion.

New generation of electronic damping systems in trucks and buses